Have you ever heard the saying, “If you want to make God laugh just tell Him your plans”? Well, the rumor is true. I’ve been telling God my plans for years and this year is a paradigm of how God’s plan supersedes my own. My capacity to plan out events for my life is extremely limited compared to the One who has authority over my life. Since I’ve asked God to take full control over every aspect of my life, He’s taken me to places that I never knew existed. I’ve experienced joy and contentment that only God is able to provide. Previously, I was trying to fit God into my life where there was available space, but God has disciplined me and shown me how trusting Him is the only way to live. Now I have God in the center of my life and it’s so beautiful how He has filled in the rest.
Luke 9:23-24 reads,
“23Then Jesus said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. 24If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it’.” (NLT)
Change is typically very difficult for me, but once I started praying for God to “lead me, and I will follow,” He has spun my life around. Thankfully He has removed many unnecessary things that cluttered my life so that now God is the focus of my life. I cannot think of any of my personal plans or goals that God has left untouched over these past few months. Here are some of the main ways God has changed me:
- I’ve desired to be a teacher since the first day of Kindergarten. Even though I believe that I’d make a successful teacher, God wants to use me elsewhere. I have been called to Children’s ministry rather than teaching and I am so excited to see which career path God places me on. Which leads me to the second major change…
- So I am no longer pursuing a Masters degree in Teaching at CNU. God has led me to seminary at Liberty University Online and I have started pursuing my Masters in Religious Education, which I am ecstatic about! People keep treating me as if shifting my plans has left me broken, but I realize this is just the enemy trying to tear down my faith and question God’s authority. I am so blessed to have God changing the trajectory of this path of my life.
- God has taken the burden of worrying about my future marriage off of my heart. I’ve given every area of my life to God, including my love life. Entrusting God with my future in this aspect is terrifying because it seems trivial that God would care or have time for my dating life. However, the more I’ve been praying about it, the more God has shown me that this is particularly delicate and important to Him. God knows me and He knows all of the godly men in the world, and I trust that He will place me with an amazing man who will lead me in our life abiding in God.
- Discipleship is a new concept to me and I’ve really taken off with it. I’ve been intentional with spreading God’s message to others through leading a small group as well as searching for a mentor in a one-on-one discipleship relationship. God has blessed me with an amazing woman, Leah, to meet with on a weekly basis to talk about Jesus and to share life. This experience is just one of the dozens of ways that God has recently manifested His love for me.
- Friendships are blossoming all around me! During the first few months of 2013, I was experiencing a season of solitude that God blessed me with so that I could truly discover His love for me. He transformed my heart and mind and has been continually preparing me for other relationships in my life. In the past few weeks He has brought new people into my life that are abounding blessings all around me. I’ve been placed into an environment where I can simultaneously be myself and love God without having to be too on guard of the enemy lurking about, trying to bring me down into the sins that used to trip me up.
The intention of telling you this is not that you will look at my life with admiration. Rather, I share these things because it has been a challenge. Giving up my life is a daily battle, and sometimes I lose. I’m human and I am selfish. I do love God with all of my heart, which is why I believe He gives me each new day, so that I may have another opportunity to prove my commitment to Him. I am a follower of Jesus and the more I practice- the more I read His Word, pray, and seek Him- the less selfish I become. The days of losing battles are fewer and farther between.
So here I am to reveal the truth behind another rumor: God loves you. He sent His Son to die for you so that you may die for Him-daily. He knows you and loves you anyway, so take up your cross. Let it all go. (here’s a link to a Tenth Avenue North song titled “Let It Go” that may speak to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzdBQrr7fIw)
“21And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.”